Monday, November 9, 2015

R&R

Mark chapter 6 vs 30-32: The apostles returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught.31 And he said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat.32 And they went away in the boat to a desolate place by themselves.

Jesus knew that the disciples need to rest. He himself needed rest sometimes-- elsewhere in Mark, Jesus was so tired he slept in a boat that was being swamped in a storm! Our bodies need rest and relaxation in order to function well.

R&R-- Rest and Relaxation. I am coming to realize that I don't always manage both. I rest...but relaxation is harder to come by. And without the second R, the first one is not very effective.


So today I am working on relaxation.(and yes, I am struck by the way I phrased that...”working on relaxation!?”) I have the house to myself for several hours. I've been reading and doing a few tasks around the house. I had smooth jazz playing—it's about to go off in favor of quiet! I think the kitty and I are going to go upstairs to nap for a bit. And so I am consciously working on UN-hunching my shoulders and gently stretching. I've been outside in the fresh air, and took time to notice the blue sky and the leaves blowing off the tree out front. And I've spent time reading my Bible and prayed for folks on my prayer list. But I am praying for myself too. That today is R&R and that I will be recharged to serve Our Loving Lord more fully tomorrow!

this is a serene scene I took a couple weeks ago on a day off. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment